Saturday, December 10, 2011

Poem: Young Woman

I have changed far too much
For turning back
Like a hermit crab
Who has outgrown her
Shell

I must not stagnate
Not let myself forget
Must press onward
Push myself to look
Ahead

I was once named after The Sky
And I am only just
Beginning to understand
The sky is not something you
Get to keep
Or hold down
The sky belongs to the world
Detached from people and places

The sky is not
One way
For long
Every-changing
Her clouds are always
On the move
The sun is always
Shining from a fresh point

Other times I am the horse
The filly who has finally
Discovered the strength of her legs
Now I stand on this vista
Always wanting to push ahead
Wondering
Where to I should run next

Loving the wind in my hair
The sun on my cheeks
Casting life back into
My eyes

Let me tell you something,
Young Woman,
I will whisper it into
Your life history:
The possibilities are infinite
And you are a
Strong and free spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment